History of New Hope
The first business of any size in Willow Spring was a general merchandise store built by Jim Rowland on the west side of the railroad tracks. Another original business of Willow Spring was a store run by A. F. Smith. This adjoined what was the Albert Dean property and was also referred to as the W. B. Temple Store. This building was later taken over by the Willow Spring Presbyterian Church organized in 1914. It was remodeled, a steeple was added and it served as a church until it burned in 1945. At that time, a brick church was built and used by the Presbyterians until Willow Spring and Fellowship Churches merged in 1961. At that point, a new church was built and called New Hope Presbyterian on NC Highway 42 about one mile east of Willow Spring. On April 2, 1962, a church site was voted on and ground breaking services were help on May 31, 1964. In 1973, the Men of the Church completed a Fellowship Building. In April 1988, a ground breaking ceremony for a new Christian Education wing was held. It was completed in early 1989 and dedicated on May 25, 1989. Recently we added our Family Life Center and Child Care Center. The dedication service was held in 2007.
We have worked, lived and loved with 7 different pastors. They were Rev. A. G. Courtenay, Fred Albright, Lewis Boyle, Robert Lee, Thomas Westfall, interim Roger Horne and presently, Jane Love.